The following are three articles I recommend which provide some guidelines in how to speak to your children about COVID-19 that will promote authentic contact and likely decrease anxiety.
THIS IS HOW I RESPONDED TO MY DAUGHTERS FEARS ABOUT CORONAVIRUS (HAND & HAND PARENTING)
This outstanding article provides useful tips for parents including but not limited to:
- Working on your own fears
- Listening to and acknowledging your child’s concerns
- Offering much needed reassurance
How to Talk to Your Kids about COVID-19
Tips that parents can begin to implement immediately.
- monitor and limit media exposure. Click here to access an interactive Family Media Use Plan
- Maintain routines
- Use age appropriate language
PARENTING DURING COVID-19
Some very useful and practical tips to give parents guidlines in how to speak to their children. Some tips include but are not limited to:
- Talk about what has changed
- Talk about what has not changed
- Validate feelings of anger and disappointment
- Reach out for professional support if needed.